This was a trial salad that turned into quite the delight. I made it with our last minute steak tips one night when it turned out to be 75 degrees! Then it turned into lunch 3 days the next week 🙂 I used what I had on hand and I was quite proud of the results!! It’s perfect with any grilled meal, ideal for a simple dish to bring to a BBQ, or have it as a side dish with your favorite sandwich! I know the goat cheese will make you wrinkle your forehead, usually I’d use chunks of mozzarella, I had this on hand and went with it, though the goat cheese crumbles and melts a bit, it gives the salad a cheesy taste that melts in your mouth!! Sounds crazy but trust me! I love cold Salads and my husband really doesn’t so it gave me lunch on three different days!
- Half a pound of orzo
- Pint of cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 2 oz of goat cheese
- 1 cup of light Italian dressing
- 1/4 cup of light balsamic dressing
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook Orzo according to directions. Let sit in cold water, drain and refrigerate until cool. While this was cooking, I prepared the rest and popped it in the fridge!
- Peel and cut cucumbers in circles, then cut each circle into fours.
- Cut each tomato in half.
- Crumble goat cheese as small as possible.
- Toss with cooled orzo, add dressings, stirring to combine, season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least an hour to let the dressings settle.
A large serving to me is eating it as is with nothing else which I did. Twice! Side servings would be serving it with a grilled dish or sandwich.