Happy Sunday everyone! This is one event that I just had to take part in. You know I’ve been on board with trying to eliminate all unprocessed foods for my family and I. I feel strongly about this however my daughter is the one I have left to work on! This brilliant theme is being hosted by the fabulous DB over at Crazy Foodie Stunts. Thanks for hosting DB!
Everyone has their own definition of what “Unprocessed” really means. Andrew over at Eating Rules set up an October pledge. To find out more about it head on over and see how he lays it out. I like his definition because it’s simple, he calls it the “Kitchen Test.” If you pick up an item and look at the ingredients (If it doesn’t have a label, most likely it is unprocessed!) you are looking to see if you can actually make that item in your own kitchen, it doesn’t mean you have to, it just means if you can, it’s unprocessed. If you see an ingredient listed that you could not make in your own kitchen or from it’s original form then most likely it’s processed. Simple enough for me. I have a long ways to go but any where is a start right? I make my own cream of mushroom soup, salad dressings and pesto or pasta sauces. I always keep an eye on sodium levels because we all like quick and easy meals but sometimes processed versions are loaded with sodium. Eating healthier and unprocessed on the go can be done guys. I made this recipe on a Friday as we were headed out for a weekend of camping. Though we had great accommodations consisting of a full stove and fridge, I like to relax while camping. In my years growing up and going camping with friends we always tend to grab for the prepackaged pasta salads and burgers. I plan my menus so my family and I can stay on track. I made the turkey mixture in this recipe before we left, bagged it, cooked the sweet potatoes on our grill one night, warmed up the mixture and topped the sweet potatoes for a delicious, unprocessed yet easy meal!
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 lb. of lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup of freshly shredded mozzarella or parmesan cheese
- Salt & Pepper
What to do:
Oven: Preheat oven to 375F. Pierce the sweet potatoes and place directly on oven racks. Bake for 40 min.
Grill: Set grill to Medium heat. Wrap sweet potatoes in tinfoil. Pierce with a fork and cook for 40 min turning them a few times.
Add the oil to a sauté pan and onion for a few minutes. Add garlic and sautee for a few more minutes. Add ground turkey breaking it up. Once the turkey is almost cooked through add the mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes until mushrooms have softened. Add salt and pepper to your liking.
I’m super excited to see what the Sunday Supper team has brought to the table today because I want to put more of these kinds of recipes on my menu!
Slice the sweet potatoes in half. Place the turkey mixture on the potato and top with shredded cheese. Serve with your favorite veggie for a complete meal!
Now it’s time to get other ideas for unprocessed dishes! I’m super excited to put some of these recipes on my must make list!
Alluring Appetizers and Stunning Sides
- Brioche Dinner Rolls by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Stuffed Peppadew Peppers by An Appealing Plan
- Homemade Fennel-Maple Mustard by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Sweet Potato Noodles & Brussels Sprouts Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Whole Grain, No-Knead Sourdough Bread by Peaceful Cooking
- Sweet Potato Fries by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Indian Spiced Dal and Sag Aloo by Happy Baking Days
- Homemade Energy Bars by The Foodie Army Wife
- Honey Thyme Chicken by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sweet Potato and Carrot Hash by Fit Foodie Runs
- Roasted Parsnips and Carrots with Cardamom and Maple Syrup by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Spicy Smashed Fingerling Potatoes by Magnolia Days
- Autumn Panzanella by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa by What Smells So Good?
- Curried Apple Chips by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Stuffed Acorn Squash by Rhubarb and Honey
- Homemade Hash Brown by Basic N Delicious
- Raw Salted Chocolate Chip Oat Healthy Bars by Wallflour Girl
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Basic Roasted Cauliflower by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Baked Beet Chips by The Dinner-Mom
- Crispy Tex-Mex Quinoa Patties by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Authentic Chicken Tinga by Shockingly Delicious
- Jacket Potato Party by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mom’s Homemade Vegetarian Meatballs by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chicken and Sweet Potato by MealDiva
- Chinese Five Spice Chicken Stir Fry by Nosh My Way
- Easy Slow Cooker Chili by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Coconut Chicken Tenders with Honey Mustard Dip by Casa de Crews
- Grilled Burgers with Garlicky Arugula by Cooking Chat
- Baked Zucchini with Spicy Tomatoes by Food Lust People Love
- Fall Squash Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by Momma’s Meals
- White Bean Pesto Stew by eating in instead
- Seared Pork Stack by annaDishes
- Gnocchi with Peas and Pesto by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pumpkin & Sausage Pasta by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Raw Vegan Chocolate Cheesecake by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Vegan Mini Chocolate Cream Cakes by NinjaBaking.com
- Gluten Free Peanut Butter Blondies by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.