I’ve made my own burgers before but they were never anything “special” I like a fat flavorful burger. Wait until May because I’m going to have a full week of burger recipes here!! YES you heard me right, a full week of a different burger, a different way!! I LOVE me a burger and I try my hardest to keep them on the healthier leaner side too, I promise!!
For now……let me introduce you to a filling, nutritious, kid friendly burger that your kiddo will gobble up……….OK well every kid but mine! I haven’t given up hope with her yet on this one though…..she did eat a few bites, so since I froze a bunch of these babies we are having them again soon!
As most of you know, I have a picky eater, there is nothing worse than having a picky eater when you enjoy cooking as much as I do. It’s just not fair. It shouldn’t be allowed. However, I take the blame. So I’m constantly thinking of ways to get her to eat new things. I found this recipe in a kid friendly cook book I recently bought, I didn’t have all the ingredients so I made it “mine”. I’m proud.
- 1 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of quinoa
- 3/4-1 lb. of ground turkey
- 1/2 cup of chopped red onion
- Salt & Pepper
- Cook Quinoa according to packaged directions with the water. Cool and put aside. I made this in the morning and put my burgers together around lunch time.
- Mix together the rest of the ingredients seasoning with salt and pepper to your liking. Don't over mix.
- Spread out the mixture into a square and flatten to a 1/2 inch thickness. I cut out star shaped burgers for my daughter, you can use any cookie cutter shape or simply make patties.
- Heat a grill or grill top and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side. I didn't serve mine on a bun because I knew my daughter wouldn't eat it that way. Use thick Italian bread or whole wheat buns for these babies!
I stacked these in a bowl with a piece of parchment paper in between each one. Once they froze I pulled them out of the bowl, put them in a zip-lock bag, labeled them and put them back in the freezer. Last week when it was 50 degrees and my husband decided to unveil the grill for the season (who knew that we’d get a foot a snow exactly a week later!) I pulled out one of the adult size ones, OMG it was sooooooooooo good. I have never made a home made burger that was that delish before. Yes I’m tooting my own horn on this one! Minor ingredients, easy to whip up, filling. I’m quite proud!!