This weeks #SundaySupper theme is super fun!! Who is a movie buff?? I am I am!! I LOVE watching movies, any movies, all movies. My all time favorites are comedies and dramas. One month shy of my 21st birthday (seems like moons ago) I lost my ex-boyfriend in a motorcycle accident. Life as I knew it was over. Or so I thought until I learned not even a year later that my dad had stage 4 lung cancer. Don’t worry I’m not telling you these sad stories to make you all sad, I’m telling you them because movies………..well movies took me out of my world of darkness for the 90-120 min that they were being played. I used them to zone out and forget about my feelings for the hour or so that they lasted for. STILL here I am 14 years later still using movies to zone out, not so much to me out of misery anymore, but more to just relax and forget about the world, forget about my responsibilities, and just laugh (hence why comedies are my favorite). Drama’s are my second favorite because man………..my life seems so much better compared to 90% of the drama filled movies that are out there LOL. Hey whatever works right!! This awesome event is being hosted by Heather over at girlchef!! Yes that name sounds familiar because this Momma featured her a few weeks back!! Thanks for hosting Heather!
Well today’s theme is to choose a dish from a movie that has inspired us! This one was tough for me, only because I have A LOT of favorites. When I was running it by my sister one afternoon (she knows movies better than I do, though I probably watch more) she listed off a bunch of favs. When she said Mystic Pizza I said wait!!! That’s it! Though this movie is a oldy and I was all of 10 when it came out, I watched it years later as a teenager. The movie is about 3 coming of age women who work at a pizza shop as they lead us to wonder where their lives are going…..It’s got drama, it’s got comedy and at the age I first saw it at, I could relate. Soooooooo I cooked up a pizza. Not just your average looking/tasting pizza. Don’t worry, I made it fun!
I got a new pan from Pampered Chef a few weeks back and I’ve been dying to use it so I decided to make Individual Deep Dish Pizza’s! Feel free to use whatever topping you may enjoy, I used pepperoni because my daughter loves it, I also used some ground sausage and pepper to throw a veggie in there for my picky eater. You may not have this cutesy little pan that I have but all you need is a large muffin tin pan, or heck, even a regular one is fine too, I just LOVE deep dish pizza!!
- Your favorite pizza dough (I use pillsbury artisian style pizza dough)
- Pizza Sauce
- Mexican Cheese
- Jimmy Dean pre-cooked turkey sausage
- Italian Seasoning
- Oil Spray
- Roll out the pizza dough and use a round cutter (or the top of a bowl or cup) to cut circles in the dough. Use your judgement on the size given whatever pan you are using.
- Spray each cup with a good amount of oil.
- Place the cut out dough in each cut, pressing firmly into place and up the sides
- Place a tablespoon or two of sauce in the cup, followed by some toppings and some grated cheese.
- Place another circle of dough and repeat the layer, ending in cheese.
- **Bake according to your pizza dough directions. More time may need to be added depending on how deep the cup is. The Pillsbury dough gave a time for deep dish so I used that and it was spot on.
If using regular size muffin tins don't double the layers. It'll make 8 pizzas.
Let’s see what everyone else has made………what movie inspired this creative group!!
Toast (bready things)
- Scones (inspired by Tea with Mussolini) – Country Girl in the Village
- Croque Monsieur (inspired by It’s Complicated) – That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!
- “Eat Me” Blueberry Lemon Scones (inspired by Alice in Wonderland) – The Messy Baker
- Dog Bone Breadsticks (inspired by Frankenweenie) – The Urban Mrs.
- Individual Deep Dish Pizzas (inspired by Mystic Pizza) – Momma’s Meals
- Basic Bread Recipe (inspired by Agora) – Masala Herb
- Mystical Double Cheese Pizza (inspired by Mystic Pizza) – Webicurean
- Vanilla Cinnamon Pancakes (inspired by No Reservations) – Pies and Plots
No Reservations (soups and salads)
- 10-Minute Potato Ham Soup with Pesto Swirl (inspired by Julie & Julia) – Shockingly Delicious
- Alaska Smoked Salmon, Celery, and Apple Salad (inspired by Salmon Fishing in the Yemen) – Pescetarian Journal
Today’s Special (fish, chicken, beef, and pork)
- الدار البيضاء Fish Tajine (inspired by Casablanca) – Maroc Mama
- Beef and Onions Braised in Beer (inspired by Julie & Julia) – Magnolia Days
- Spicy Seared Tuna with Balsamic Reduction (inspired by Big Fish) – I Run For Wine
- Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs (inspired by Brave) – Big Bear’s Wife
- Puerco Pibil (inspired by Once Upon a Time in Mexico) – From the Bookshelf
Forks Over Knives (veggie-heavy dishes and sides)
- Eggplant in Garlic Sauce (inspired by The Joy Luck Club) – Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Beet Chips (inspired by Food Matters) – girlichef
- Ratatouille (inspired by Ratatouille) – Noshing With The Nolands
- Mushroom and Asparagus Mini Quiches (inspired by Sixteen Candles) – Home Cooking Memories
- Veg Samosas (inspired by Monsoon Wedding) – My Cute Bride
- Not So Fried Green Tomatoes (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) – Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Roasted Taters with Bacon (inspired by Lord of the Rings) – Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Basil Grits (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) – Diabetic Foodie
Udon (pasta and noodles)
- Big Night Timpano (inspired by Big Night) – Kimchi Mom
- Better Baked Mac & Cheese (inspired by Soul Food) – What Smells So Good?
- Spaghetti with Meatballs and Gravy (inspired by Lady and the Tramp) – Juanita’s Cocina
- Spicy Sichuan Noodles (inspired by Eat Drink Man Woman) – Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Tchoupitoulas Pasta (inspired by Last Holiday) – Gourmet Drizzles
Just Desserts (sweet treats)
- The Best Chocolate Cake (inspired by Chocolat) – The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate Almond Torte with Raspberries (inspired by Chocolat) – Vintage Kitchen
- Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size (BOUS’) (inspired by The Princess Bride) – The Cooking Actress
- Minny’s Chocolate Pie (inspired by The Help) – Daily Dish Recipes
- Pao de Lo | Portuguese Bundt Sponge Cake (inspired by My Big Fat Greek Wedding) – Family Foodie
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie (inspired by Life of Pi) – No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Fantasia Cakes (inspired by Disney’s Fantasia) – NinjaBaking. com
- Chocolate Dipped Almond Coconut Bars (inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) – Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- (Gluten Free) Orange Soda Pound Cake (inspired by Joe Vs The Volcano) – Blueberries and Blessings
- Peach and Berry Cobbler (inspired by Soul Food) – The Lovely Pantry
- Golden Ticket Peanut Butter-Pretzel Truffles (inspired by Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory)– Weekend Gourmet
- French Macarons (inspired by Marie Antoinette) – Happy Baking Days
- Pistachio and Cherry Cannoli Cups (inspired by The Godfather) – Peanut Butter and Peppers
Bottle Shock (beverages)
- Raspberry Cordial (inspired by Anne of Green Gables) – NeighborFood
- Grapefruit Flirtini (inspired by Sex and the City) – Ruffles & Truffles
- Wines To Pair With #SundaySupper Movie-Inspired Recipes (inspired by Sideways) – ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
I’d love to hear about some of your favorite Movie-Inspired recipes! Feel free to leave links and/or recipes in the comments. Also, please join us for our live twitter chat tonight at 7pm (Eastern) using the#SundaySupper hashtag, and check out the Sunday Supper board on Pinterest.
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Coming to Orlando July 19-21, the first annual Food and Wine Conference sponsored by #SundaySupper. Visit the website to learn more and join in on the fun.