This is the time of year where we are all thinking GREEN! For a few reasons. One because it’s almost St. Patrick’s Day and two because who isn’t dying for Spring right about now? Sprouting plants, flowers peaking up over the recently mowed grass, the bright sunshine, shall I go on?? Maybe I should since we are expecting another storm in a few days here. I don’ t know how much more cold and snow I can take so for now I’ll just keep dreaming of GREEN things. As I’m dreaming of GREEN things you can check out the list below of all the wonderful green dishes the #SundaySupper has whipped up for this weeks “Eat Your Greens” theme. Thank you Foodie Stuntman for hosting this great event!
When choosing a dish for this theme I had to think long and hard, I eat a lot of greens on a daily basis but I wanted to go a “different” route. I’ve been experimenting a lot lately with making my own sauces and dressings so I thought why not make some pasta fun for my daughter. She’s three and a half and is like every other toddler out there, picky!! She loves pasta so since I’ve been trying to get myself and my family to eat “cleaner” so to speak, I’m trying to limit canned and processed foods. Don’t get me wrong I still reach for the jarred Alfredo sauce on occasion when I’m busy running out the door and my family needs a quick something to mix with pasta but I’ve since started making my own Light Alfredo Sauce and Healthy Cream of Mushroom Soup. I make a big batch and freeze them so hopefully I’ll always have one on hand. I have more I have yet to actually post but the one I made for you today is a new favorite because it’s healthy and is bursting with flavor! I search the web for recipes then I just go with it and dive in to make my own, luckily as I’m making it I write down what I’m adding so I can share it! So here we go! Defrost a bag of frozen Peas and whip out your food processor because this is one Pasta anyone will eat up. This is truly a tested recipe, meaning as your making it, taste it! Make it to your liking.
What you’ll need:
1 Bag of frozen peas, thawed
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced (use your judgement, my husband isn’t a garlic fan like me!)
1/2 cup of glazed walnuts, chopped (regular is fine but these are a little sweeter!)
Salt and Pepper to season (I use a lot of pepper, use what you like)
Juice of a half of lemon
1/2 Cup of olive oil
1/4 Cup of reduced Parmesan cheese, shredded
Pasta of your choice
What to do:
Add the thawed peas, minced garlic, walnuts lemon juice, oil and top it with the cheese. Blend and pulse a few times alternating between the two. Open, add salt and pepper and little water starting with a few tablespoons. Now it’s all about seasoning and thinning it out to the consistency you prefer.
I did this a few rounds, tasting in between and adding water here and there to thin it out, you can add oil, but again I was trying to stay healthier.
I can’t believe my daughter bought it! She ate peas and had no idea she ate them! The whole way home from school my husband talked about the “green” pasta Momma was making for dinner so she was pretty excited to try it.
This made one canister, I used half of it for a half a box of elbow’s and froze the other half for another time. Use water and oil to thin it back out if you decide to freeze it. Don’t forget to see what the rest of the group brought to the table this week. Lots of green idea’s here!
Green Light Appetizers and Sides
- Espinacas con Crema (Creamed Spinach) from La Cocina de Leslie
- Steakhouse Style Creamed Spinach from It’s Yummi!
- Oven-Fried Green Beans from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Irish Champ from girlichef
- Fresh Herb Tabouleh from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Moroccan Greens from Cooking On The Ranch
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Polenta Crust Creamed Spinach Tart from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes from MealDiva
- Spinach and Artichoke Squares from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Green Rice from Basic N Delicious
- Broccoli and Blue Cheese Tarts from Mess Makes Food
- Avocado Fries from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Spinach Cashew Pakoras with Tangy Date Sauce from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garlicky Italian Green Beans and Potatoes from Webicurean
Getting Greens Through Salads
- Pixie Dust Salad with Avocados, Pixie Tangerines and Radishes from Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Broccoli Spinach Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Apple, Spinach and Zucchini Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Brussels Sprouts Slaw from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Asparagus-Fennel-Pea Shoot Salad from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cilantro Lime Ranch Dressing from The Foodie Army Wife
- Creamy Chicken Pesto Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Entreés That Will Leave You Green With Envy
- Eggs and Greens Pizza from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Creamy Green Pizza from The Foodie Patootie
- Shamrock Spinach Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
- Healthy Green Pasta from Momma’s Meals
- Swiss Chard & Sausage Pasta Bake from Delaware Girl Eats
- Smothered Cabbage with Pork from Food Lust People Love
- Spinach Fettuccine with Bacon Alfredo from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Roasted Asparagus Eggs Benedict With Cajun Hollandaise from Having Fun Saving
- Indulgent Pesto Risotto from The Weekend Gourmet
- Twice Baked Turkey Pie with Cabbage from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Slow-Cooker Irish Stout Chicken Stew from FoodieTots
- Chicken and Asparagus Flatbread Pizza from Family Foodie
Desserts and Beverages That Will Make Others Turn Green
- Lemon Kiwi Meringue Pie from Desserts Required
- Mint Cookies and Stout Shake from Melanie Makes
- Verde Sangria from Country Girl in the Village
- Baileys Mint Ice Cream & Chocolate Stout Float from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shamrock Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Green Tea Latte from Manu’s Menu
- Grasshopper Mousse from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Amazing Grass Brownies from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Leprechaun Ice Cream from Cookistry
- White Chocolate Cupcakes with Pistachio Pudding Frosting from Cookin’ Mimi
- Collard Greens, Mushroom, and Cheddar Bread Pudding from The Texan New Yorker
- Coconut Avocado Ice Cream from URBAN BAKES
- Lime Meltaways from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Mint Cake from NinjaBaking.com
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.