When the Sunday Supper tastemakers said we were cooking with bacon in honor of Bacon Lovers Day on August 20th I knew I wanted to create a sandwich of some kind, my husband and I love big manly clubs or sandwiches of any kind, I’m even obsessed with the Sandwich King on the Food Network Channel because of this obsession. So this Grilled Manwich Club was created. I had one thing in mind and then something else came out of it. Aren’t those usually the best meals?
Bacon. One simple word and I’m hooked. I’ve always loved bacon but my love for bacon, I mean the I fell in love with and wanted to marry bacon. That glorious time in my life was when I was pregnant with my daughter. Ah yes the pregnancy smell, did anyone else ever experience that? My sense of smell was heightened like you wouldn’t believe. I could have been out for a walk and I would easily smell bacon wafting from a house a good mile away. I ate BLT’s on a weekly basis. My cousins and I grew up at campground and they have a little store where they make sandwiches, burgers, fries and such. Once a week I could smell when they were preparing the BLT’s sandwiches for the week. They would throw a whole bunch of bacon on the grill and cook it up. I’m pretty sure my cousin and I ate a good half of that bacon they cooked the Summer I was pregnant.
It’s been six years now since my first pregnancy and I can tell you my love of bacon has not decreased at all. My husband and I order hamburger clubs from the place down the street a lot so I thought why not make our own. When I was searching for bread I found this big loaf of French bread and I decided I needed to bulk it up and make it more manly! I purchased that big old loaf and ran home! Once I got out my fixings for everything I realized the bread was bigger than the burgers I had made. Since my picky kids won’t eat burgers I bought them Turkey Kielbasa. Tada why not make half of the sub a cheeseburger (because everything tastes better with cheese!)
I have a bacon tip for you. I bake my bacon! I know it sounds crazy but it’s so much less of a mess and I get to throw it in my oven and get some other things done. I use a baking sheet lined with tinfoil. I put two cookie cooling racks on top, then place my strips of bacon on the racks allow the grease to hit the foil! So simple and so yummy! I made my bacon ahead of time for this Grilled Manwich Club and then I set up a toppings plate for us to add what we liked, it consisted of fresh garden tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, hot relish shall I go on?
- 1 lb of ground beef (I use 85% Lean)
- ½ lb of turkey kielbasa
- ½ lb. of bacon
- 6 slices of horseradish cheese (I use Cabot Cheese)
- 1 jalapeno, sliced thin
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 2 tbsp of italian seasoning
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 1 large loaf of french bread
- Optional Toppings:
- Mustard, ketchup, relish, red pepper relish, horseradish, pickles
- Place 2 cookie racks on a baking sheet lined with foil. Add the bacon by slices arranging them across the racks so the grease can fall onto the foil. Bake in a preheated over of 350 for 15-20 minutes depending on how you like your bacon cooked.
- In a bowl combine the ground beef, italian seasoning, salt & pepper. Form into 3 large patties and set aside. Slice the turkey kielbasa in half length wise and set aside with patties.
- Arrange all of your toppings on a tray. Slice the bread in half length wise.
- Light grill on medium heat and cook burgers to your liking, don't forget the rest time and time to melt the cheese on top of the sandwich. Cook kielbasa for 5 minutes, flip and cook an additional 3 minutes. While the kielbasa cooks place the bread coated with olive oil, inside down on the top rack of the grill.
- Arrange your Manwich Club:
- Place the bread bottom side down. Place the 3 burger patties on the first half of the bread, place the kielbasa on the remaining half of the bread. Top with sliced bacon and then cheese. Close the grill and cook until the cheese is melted and the manwich crisps up, approx 5-8 minutes
A special thanks to my friend Erica of The Crumby Cupcake for hosting this bacontastic event. I’ve met Erica a few times now and not only do I adore her but this girl got me to eat fish! Don’t forget to check out the rest of these drool worthy recipes consisting of bacon, bacon, and more bacon please!
Bacon in Appetizers
- Apple and Bacon Jam Quesadillas by Nik Snacks
- Bacon Barbecue Nachos by Where Latin Meets Lagniappe
- Game Day Bacon & Cheddar ‘Tater Skins by Powered By BLING
- Killer Jalapeño Poppers by Simply Healthy Family
- Spicy Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp by Food Lust People Love
Bacon for Breakfast
- Avocado Toast with Coconut Bacon by Helpful Homemade
- Bacon Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Glaze by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Breakfast Bruschetta by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Candied Maple Bacon by A Mind Full Mom
- Maple Bacon Protein Pancakes by Amee’s Savory Dish
Bacon for Dessert
- Bacon Brownie Balls by Monica’s Table
- Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies by Desserts Required
- Boozy Bacon Cherry Crumble by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Bacon Crack by Brunch-n-Bites
- Flourless Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Maple Bacon Truffles by Dessert Geek
- Spiced Apple Bacon Upside Down Cake by The Crumby Cupcake
Bacon for Dinner
- Bacon and Pumpkin Pasta by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Bacon Corn Chowder by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon Fried Rice by Asian In America
- Bacon Wrapped Turkey Meatloaf by April Golightly
- Creamy Blue Cheese Pasta with Steak and Bacon by Magnolia Days
- K.C.’s Award Winning Turkey Bacon Explosion by Cooking With Carlee
- Kimchi Bacon Fried Rice by kimchi MOM
- Spaghetti alla Carbonara by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- The Pigskin Loaded Baked Potato by Sunday Supper Movement
- Triple Bypass Burgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
Bacon in Beverages
- Candied Bacon Old Fashioned by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Bloody Mary with Candied Bacon Swizzle by Our Good Life
- Pancetta with Balsamic-Brown Sugar-Pepper Glaze for Bloody Mary by La Bella Vita Cucina
Bacon for Lunch
- Bacon, Fig and Goat’s Cheese Quiche by Caroline’s Cooking
- BLT Bread Salad by The Chef Next Door
- Grilled Manwich Club by Momma’s Meals
- Restaurant Style Double Bacon BLT by The Freshman Cook
- Turkey & Bacon Sliders with ‘Isn’t That Special’ Sauce by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Bacon as a Side Dish
- Bacon and Cheddar Smashed Red Potatoes by Family Around The Table
- Bourbon Bacon Jam by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Bacon, Beer & Jalapeno Muffins by Wholistic Woman
- Easy Bacon, Beans & Greens by My Life Cookbook
- Greens with Gruyere and Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Peas with Bacon and Crispy Onions by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.