Yes I still fantasized about that dreamy guy that would pick me up without me knowing where we were off to. The guy would pack a cute picnic basket fully equipped with my favorite wine, glasses, cheeses, crackers, fruit and the whole shabang! He would spread out a comfy blanket and feed me the cheese and some grapes, then the screaming baby in the background awakens me from my dream! Back to reality!! Oh and the dreamy guy……of course he’s my hubby! 🙂 So this weekend officially kicks off Summer for my family! Well I should say it usually does, it’s Memorial Day weekend, which is opening weekend at the campground we go to every summer. Why is this year different than any other year you ask? Well I’m due to have my son in 5 weeks and my camper has yet to be cleaned and opened for the summer…..UGH, we just have a lot on our plates with getting ready for baby Drew’s arrival and my husband finishing up my sister’s apartment off our house. Don’t worry it’s not stopping me from wanting a Picnic to kick off this wonderful weekend that means Summer is right around the corner!!!! I love picnics, well I never really enjoyed them until my daughter was born but since I’m a stay at home mom now, during the nicer months I just love being outside with her. Our picnics consist of packing a lunch box of sandwiches, snacks, fruit, drinks, and a blanket and heading to the nearest park!! My kiddo gets the two things she loves most, to be outside and food!! 🙂 Of course I had to take part in this weeks theme!! The ever so talented #SundaySupper team has brought you their favorite dishes for any picnic!! Today’s event is being hosted Katy over at Happy Baking Days!! Thanks for hosting this Picnic Katy!!
What did I bring to this wonderful picnic??
Well I’ve been wanting to try this new recipe I found while searching for healthier dishes (trying to prepare for after my son is born!) I love chicken, tuna and ham salad but I know the one thing in them that makes those awesome bring anywhere sandwiches bad for you is the mayo! I don’t even like mayo however I still love the salad sandwiches! I also have a new avocado obsession so when I came across a this recipe I altered to what I would like!!
Recipe Adapted From: Becoming Betty
- 1 Cup of shredded chicken
- 1 Avocado
- Lime juice to taste
- 1/4 Cup of light sour cream
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 green onion, chopped
- 4 pieces of your favorite sandwich bread
- I started with mashing the avocado and setting a side. In a bowl I added the chicken, sour cream, salt, pepper and green onion. I then added the avocado and mixed it all together.
- I added the lime juice and more salt and pepper until I got it to the taste I wanted.
- I toasted my bread because well I was home. Experiment and use other kinds of baguettes or breads!
Salads and Slaws:
- Bacon Ranch Potato Salad from Juanita’s Cocina
- Caprese Spinach Salad from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken Chopped Salad from Table for Seven
- Cold Pea Salad from Shockingly Delicious
- Creamy Potato Salad with Roasted Pears, Cilantro and Romano Cheese from Gourmet Drizzles
- German Potato Salad from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Hawaiian Cole Slaw from Curious Cuisiniere
- Italian Chopped Salad from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Kale Pasta Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mizeria (Polish Cucumber Salad) from From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- PA Dutch Pepper Cabbage from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pineapple Slaw from I Run For Wine
- Spaghetti Salad from Country Girl in the Village
- Tortellini Pasta Salad from Supper for a Steal
Sandwiches and Mains:
- Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich from Momma’s Meals
- Caramelized Onion, Goat Cheese, and Tomato Sandwich from Magnolia Days
- Grilled Bratwurst and Onion Open-Face Sandwiches from The Urban Mrs
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Green Goddess Sauce from Foxes Love Lemons
- Herbs-Garlic and Parmesan Croissants from Basic N Delicious
- Indian Spiced Chicken Drumsticks from Soni’s Food
- Japanese Picnic Bento Box from The Ninja Baker
- Mini Chicken Salad, Avocado and Cheese Subs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Moroccan Fried Chicken from MarocMama
- Pepper, Spinach and Goat’s Cheese Quiche from Happy Baking Days
- Picnic Basket Buttermilk Fried Chicken from Noshing with the Nolands
- Salmon in a Jar from Healthy. Delicious.
- Smoked Trout Deviled Eggs from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spam Musubi fromKimchi Mom
- Apricot Oat Nut Bars from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Treat Pops from In The Kitchen With KP
- Cocoa Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fruit Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fruit Salad with Honey Port Drizzle from Family Foodie
- Loaded Butterscotch Bars from Vintage Kitchen
- Nathan’s Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treat Truffles from Chocolate Moosey
- Shandy Popsicles With Raspberries from Ruffles & Truffles
- Texas Sheet Cake with Pecan Frosting from Food Lust People Love
- Triple Chocolate Punch Bowl Cake from Neighborfood
- Fresh Limeade with Chia Seeds from girlichef
- Pineapple Sangria from Growing Up Gabel
- Strawberry Basil Lemonade from The Messy Baker Blog
- Strawberry Lemonade from Gotta Get Baked
- Top 10 Wines for Picnic #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine blog
- Watermelon Agua Fresca from Daily Dish Recipes
Check back on Sunday for all the recipes! You can join in the chat on Twitter too: we’ll tweet throughout the day and share all of our picnic recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. To join in, just follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets. You can also check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.