It’s that time of the week again, no matter how busy this Momma gets I will always make time for Featured Friday’s!!!! Jessica is the write/blogger over at The Weekly Spoonful. I remember coming across her blog awhile back when I first starting blogging, I loved the name of it right from the beginning! I contacted her in hopes to feature her someday, but like a lot of my emails reaching out to other bloggers, they get lost in the spam or they get deleted from being super busy. Jessica however reached out to me a few months later and of course I put her right on the schedule! I love her writing style, though her blog was meant to start off as a way for her to share her much loved recipes with friends and co-workers it turned into a collection of memories, experiences and thoughts. Jessica is a 20-something gal that lives in the city and her blog is about new things, old things, silly things and mostly self-indulgent, but the recounting of these recipes and such memories has become her little spoonful of sugar as she describes it.
Jessica feels the same way I do after completing a wonderful dish of her own. There is no other therapy quite like slow and lovely calm of cooking or baking, so simply put I love it! Jessica grew up in a home where family dinner is the most important part of the day. Her mother taught her that the way to a mans heart was through his stomach. A box of cake mix is practically a sin. Favorite recipes are used over and over and handed down as precious treasures, but finding or creating a new gem is just as special. Cooking together is the best way to step outside the world and re-connect, and cooking for someone is the best way to show that you care. Jessica I love your mom already!! Seems like my kind of gal! Boy do I wish I had looked at Jessica’s blog this past summer when I became a fan of the Farmer’s Market! She has a whole post about it you should keep in mind for next year. Also more Gifts in a Flash for the upcoming holiday season. I can’t wait to make some homemade granola as gifts this year!
Jessica, If you haven’t already checked out the #SundaySupper group you should because it’s the best group for people that truly feel a meal (even if it is only once a week for some) is truly the way to hold family together! So join me in welcoming Jessica everyone! The recipe of hers I chose was her Holiday Rehab Edition of a Stir Fry on the lighter side. No not because it was number one on her list but because I was craving a beef stir fry so when I put my menu together over the weekend, I always have most of the ingredients for a chicken or steak stir fry in the house because it’s a healthy quick meal for me and my family. Here is Jessica’s version:
- 1/4 pound green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin 3-inch pieces
- 2 bunches of green onions, white and pale green parts only, sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 pound of lean steak, sliced into thin strips
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 -2 teaspoons of mild Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (olive oil is also fine if you don’t have sesame)
What to do:
- Mix the steak with the ginger and 3 tablespoons of soy sauce and set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of the sesame oil over medium-high heat and then add the veggies and garlic. Stir-fry for about 5-8 minutes until cooked but still crisp. I also added bean sprouts too.
- Coat your same pan with remaining sesame oil and heat over medium-high. When the pan is hot, add the beef and stir fry for about 4 minutes or just until cooked through. If it starts sticking add just a touch of soy sauce or a bit more oil.
- Mix the hoisin, tabasco, remaining soy sauce, and crushed red pepper. Throw this in the pan with the beef, and add the veggies until they are reheated.
- Finish with a sprinkling of sesame seeds (I had these too and I totally forgot to top it off because I was starved!!)
Thank you again Jessica for Co-Hosting with me this week! It’s been fun checking out your site and I can’t wait to come back for more! I am so making that granola as gifts this year!! 🙂 Happy Friday Foodie Friend! Go visit The Weekly Spoonful now and tell her this Momma sent you!