I truly believe Spring has finally Sprung here in New England (do I dare put away the Winter gear??) When I think Spring I think of Picnics. I think of packing a lunch and taking my children to the park down the street. Since April 22nd is Earth Day and April 23rd is National Picnic Day the Sunday Supper tastemakers decided to host a Picnic! I decided to make a Crisp Cucumber Salsa with Southwest Style Chips. My mom originally brought this recipe to my attention. Isn’t she fabulous, she sends me things she knows I’ll love and 99% of the time I try them! I wanted to make my own dipping chips because I’m trying to cut out processed foods and besides I’ve made pita chips before and it’s fun. I just added a kick to it them this time around! This Crisp Cucumber Salsa in itself is a cool and refreshing snack. It has a kick to it, but not too much, and do you want to know what the best part is? It’s only 16 calories for 1/4 cup!! WOW! I made this right inside my hand chopper, it’s like a food processor only you pump it by hand, it worked perfect to get the cucumber, tomato, onion, parsley and pepper to the perfect texture.
Once a month my mom, sister and a friend of ours gets together for “Dinner Club” we pick a theme and we all bring a dish and enjoy a few cocktails. Last weekend Mom hosted and she decided to make it “Appetizer” night. So I was on a mission to make a healthier appetizer that I knew I could munch on. Then the Crisp Cucumber Salsa came into mind! Brilliant! Our friend made an amazing Bruschetta Dip that I have to get the recipe for because that would make a great picnic dish as well.
This fantastic event is being hosted by T.R. of Gluten Free Crumbley, thanks for hosting T.R.!
- 1 large english cucumber, peeled, finely chopped
- ¼ cup of red onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 seeded plum tomato, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1½ tsp. of lemon juice
- 1½ tsp. of lime juice
- ¼ cup of plain non-fat greek yogart
- ¼ tsp. of cumin
- ¼ tsp. of salt
- 4- 8 inch pita rounds
- Southwest Chipotle Seasoning
- Olive Oil
- Combine the first six ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350. Using a pizza cutter cut each pita round into eight pieces. Lay them on a baking sheet making sure not to overlap them. Brush them with olive oil and sprinkle with Southwest Chipotle seasoning.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until they become crisp, they burn easily.
- In a separate bowl combine greek yogurt, lemon juice, lime juice cumin and salt. Add dressing to the cucumber mixture and mix well to combine.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe by: Keeping it Together
Homemade Southwest Chips: Momma’s Meals
Yields: 2 1/2 Cups
If you were going on a picnic what dishes below would you pack and enjoy?!!
- Caprese Skewers by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Crisp Cucumber Salsa with Southwest Style Chips by Momma’s Meals
- French Onion Dip, with Greek Yogurt by Casa de Crews
- Mediterranean Spiced Hummus by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Pepperoni Pinwheels by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Watermelon Salad by annaDishes
- Blackberry Lemonade by The Redhead Baker
- Blueberry Mojito Mocktails by NeighborFood
- Grandma’s Stuff by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Minty Cardinal Punch by Food Lust People Love
- Pineapple Ginger Lemonade Spiked with Turmeric by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Sangria Punch by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Pineapple Lemonade by Noshing With The Nolands
- Avocado Sriracha Egg Salad by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Barbecue Ranch Quinoa Chicken Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Boneless Chicken Wings by Nosh My Way
- Burger Ice Cream by Brunch with Joy
- Chicken Salad Sliders by Life Tastes Good
- Spanish tortilla by Caroline’s Cooking
- Broccoli & Tomato Pasta Salad by Flour On My Face
- Buffalo Macaroni Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Couscous Veggie Salad with Pesto by Cooking Chat
- Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Granola Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Greek Style Asparagus Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- No Mayo Slaw with Poppyseed Dressing by Palatable Pastime
- Spiralized Beet and Goat Cheese Salad by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Sweet and Tangy Brussels Coleslaw with Fennel, Chopped Apples and Golden Raisins by Simply Healthy Family
Soups and Salads:
- Barley and Rice Salad by Family Foodie
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Dried Cranberries by Food Done Light
- Layered Mason Jar Pasta Salad for Two by The Weekend Gourmet
- Smoked Turkey Salad by Our Good Life
- Spinach Salad with Apples & Pecans in an Apple Balsamic Vinaigrette by Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- Bacon-Bulleit Brownies by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Fudgey Coca Cola Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Earth Day Cupcakes by Savory Experiments
- Gluten Free Cookie Bars by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Lemon Lime Pound Cake by Vintage Kitchen
- Lemon Yuzu Cookies by NinjaBaker.com
- Mini Lemon Chess Pies by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- No-Bake Cookie Butter Chex Mix Bars by Wallflour Girl
- Peanut Butter Bars by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Peanut Butter Carob Bars by Pies and Plots
- Sourdough Chunk Cookies by What Smells So Good?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.