It’s my favorite day of the week! Not only am I hosting this fabulous Sunday Supper event but I’m also bringing you one of my new favorite recipes. This Chickpea and Bean Soup not only offers you a rich and hearty full feeling but it is loaded with beans and assorted veggies! This soup came to me in a magazine I was flipping through one day. I saw a picture of chickpea soup and it looked amazing, I didn’t have all of the ingredients but I knew I wanted to make something with beans in it. I didn’t know what flavors to combine, I had fresh rosemary and parsley so I figured why not just go with it. Aren’t those the recipes that we end up loving the most?
I recall my father making baked beans when I was child, an old family recipe of my grandmothers. I specifically remember the smell that would fill up our home. Nope It was not a smell that I liked. I actually hated it. It made my stomach turn so I never took a liking to beans. You should see my pantry now! I have gained an appreciation for beans since learning to eat healthier and every time I make a chili I make it a different way using different kinds of beans.
I knew this event would be fun because the Sunday Supper tastemakers are truly talented and you are going to love the creativity behind these recipes, remember vanilla came from a bean so scroll all the way down to the end to see the desserts!
- 1 cup of spinach
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1-2 tsp. of red pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cans of chickpeas
- 1 can of Cannellini beans
- 1 can of diced tomatoes flavored with basil and oregano
- 3 tbsp of fresh rosemary
- Italian bread, toasted (optional)
- Minced red onions (optional)
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large soup pot heat 3 tbsp. of olive oil over medium high heat. Spread it around the pan.
- Add carrots, onion, celery, rosemary, garlic and red pepper. Season with salt and pepper to your liking. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, 7-8 minutes.
- Stir in stock, one can of chickpeas, white beans, and tomatoes. Using an immerse blender roughly blend the soup. Don't puree it. If you don't have a immerse blender, transfer half of the soup to a food processor and pulse a few times.
- Add in the second can of chickpeas and stir in the spinach. Simmer, stirring often until spinach wilts, about 5 minutes.
- Add a piece of toasted bread at the bottom of the serving bowls. Spoon soup over the bread, grated parmesan cheese and red onion if desired.
- Avocado Hummus by Our Good Life
- Bean Ragoût and Crisped Mushrooms by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Black Bean Chili Nachos by Brunch with Joy
- Chickpea Fries (Panisse) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Five Layer Greek Hummus Dip by Food Done Light
- Pizza Roasted Chickpeas by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- White Bean and Basil Spread by Peaceful Cooking
Bean-a-rific Soups and Stews:
- Butternut Squash White Bean Soup by Magnolia Days
- Chickpea and Bean Soup by Momma’s Meals
- Classic Cassoulet by Food Lust People Love
- Navy Bean & Kale Soup by An Appealing Plan
- Navy Bean Soup by The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Pork and Bean Stew by Nosh My Way
- Kielbasa and White Bean Soup by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spicy Sausage, White Bean and Spinach Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Bean and Cornbread Salad by MealDiva
- Clams with Black Beans by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Gold Rush Baked Beans by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Maple Brown Sugar Baked Beans by Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- Pinto Beans With Cornbread Croutons by Nik Snacks
- Whiskey Bacon Baked Beans by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Incredi-bean Main Meals:
- Arugula Tomato and Beans Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Bean and Bacon Tacos by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Beefy Lima Bean Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Colombian Red beans – Frisoles Antioquenos by Palatable Pastime
- Italian Beans and Greens by Simply Healthy Family
- Honey-Lime Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos by The Chunky Chef
- One Pot Tuscan Style Garlic Herb Pork Chops by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Orecchiette with White Beans and Swiss Chard by Delaware Girl Eats
- Skillet Black Beans and Pork by Cooking Chat
- Ultimate Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by Pancake Warriors
- White Bean Ragout, Frisèe, and a Fried Egg by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Amaze-beans Sweet Endings:
- Chocolate Covered Espresso Bean Bark by Love and Confections
- Flourless Almond Joy Cookie Dough Ball by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Flourless Mocha Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten-Free Black Bean Brownies by Wallflour Girl
- Gluten-Free Donuts by NinjaBaker
- Pecan Praline Black Bean Brownies by Rhubarb and Honey
- Soy Awesome Cookies 2.0 by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coco-Cacao Bean Smoothie by Dandelion Greens
- Sweet Bean Pie by Shockingly Delicious
- Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee by Noshing With The Nolands
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.