Today we are saying Happy Birthday to our dear #SundaySupper family!! I can’t even believe it. I started taking part in this weekly celebration of food and family in May of 2011, So a little after a year it all began this fabulous group invited me with open arms to take part in breaking bread and making Sunday Supper as important in my home as it is in theirs. So instead of singing happy birthday we have all decided to share a #SundaySupper moment that really means something to us. I thought about this long and hard, there have been some great themes, plenty of things I’ve learned, whether it was in cooking, writing or blogging, and most importantly I’ve gained some wonderful relationships along the way. So with that being said it brings me to my favorite memory of this little family I’ve gained over the last two years.
The Family. The People. I can’t believe how caring and sweet each one of these people are that I’ve had the pleasure of knowing. We all know how it feels to be foodies and/or bloggers, so why not offer advice and a hand to hold a long the way. I went back to my very first post and thought about remaking that dish, then I thought about making one of the recipes from that very post, and then that brought me to Nicole. The girl who introduced me to this movement. I don’t even really remember how I virtually met Nicole however she reached out to me and explained how it worked and before I knew it, I was part of this wonderful family. Nicole is the Momma, blogger and food lover behind Daily Dish Recipes. I even went back on some emails that Nicole and I shared back and forth over the past year or so, which reminded me how much I miss that Momma!! I guess life gets busy and as a mother of five I can only imagine what this girl has got going on but anyways I was quickly reminded of the blessings in my life so I decided to visit Nicole and make one of her awesome recipes, if you remember correctly I featured Nicole a few months after I started my Featured Friday’s. Picking a recipe was challenging to say the least. After our oil tank decided to fail inspection and we made the decision to go with propane our oven decided to fail as well. Fun Fun. So I did what any Momma would do, I broke out the crock pot and jumped on a recipe of Nicole’s that I could make! I chose her Crockpot Chicken Spaghetti. I was super excited for this dish………however it didn’t go as planned. Of course not. The heat guys were here doing the installation they needed to give us propane so they had to shut the gas off, which meant I had no way of boiling the water I needed to make the actual spaghetti, so I was forced to make a few changes. It then became Chicken & Rice Dinner in the Crock.
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of diced tomatoes
8 oz of fat free chicken broth
salt & pepper
3 large chicken breasts
2 cups of cooked brown rice
4 tbsp of butter, melted
1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
1-2 cups of fresh spinach
What to do:
I started with the beginning part of Nicole’s recipe, well I cut it in half to make less servings, hey she has 5 kiddo’s I have one that eats…….if you can even call it that. Combine the cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth, melted butter, Parmesan cheese and garlic salt in the crock pot and stir to combine. I had a little helper
Take the chicken out and shred it with two forks. I then cooked two cups of brown rice in 1 and 3/4 cup of water in my steamer for half of the recommended time. So if your boiling a bag, just cook it half way through.
Add the shredded chicken back to the crock, add the rice, 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and 1-2 cups of fresh spinach (use as much as you prefer) stir to combine, turn to high and let it cook for 45 min, this thickens it a bit. At first I thought it was going to turn into a stew but the cheese, rice and spinach really helped thicken it up.
I was so bummed when I couldn’t follow Nicole’s recipe to a tee, but I guess that happens in the kitchen from time to time, we are forced to compromise! My husband went back for seconds and I had it for lunch all week! It was awesome, the extra added shredded cheese on top really made it complete. I can see where this would be so awesome with spaghetti so I’m going to make it Nicole’s way very soon!!
Let’s see what everyone else brought to celebrate this wonderful birthday. I’m so happy to be a part of this celebration, what a great thing for Isabel, the founder of the #SundaySupperto be proud of!
Brilliant Breads and Breakfast Fare:
- Brioche aux Pépites de Chocolat from Food Lust People Love
- Broccoli, Potato & Cheese Egg Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Celebration Strawberry Crepes from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Homemade Brioche from Masala Herb
- Onion Cheddar Cheese Focaccia from Flour On My Face
- Poached Pear Bread from Hip Foodie Mom
Amazing Appetizers and Cocktails:
- Blood Orange Gin Fizz from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Blue Cheese Walnut Tarts from Magnolia Days
- Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Stuffed Butternut Squash from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Cheesy Twists from What Smells So Good?
- Key Lime Pie Martini from girlichef
- Pizza Dip from The Food Army Wife
- Slow Cooker Party Mix from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
Spectacular Soups and Salads:
- Creamy, Tangy Bacon Salad Dressing from Daily Dish Recipes
- Day at the Beach Healthy Tuna Salad from Shockingly Delicious
- Low Carb Spicy Chunky Vegetable Beef Chili from Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Luscious Fruit Salad from Pescetarian Journal
- Quinoa and Buffalo Chicken Salad from In the Kitchen with KP
- Carne de Porco Alentejana | Portuguese Pork and Clams from Family Foodie
- Chicken Shami Kebab from Soni’s Food
- Chicken and Rice Dinner in the Crock from Momma’s Meals
- Curried Chicken from The Foodie Patootie
- Healthy Chicken Tetrazzini from Citronlimette
- Imagination Stew from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Orecchiette with Chicken, Brocccoli, Mushrooms and Onions from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Runny Egg Risotto from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Sautéed Chicken with Tarragon Cream Sauce plus Arugula, Radicchio and Escarole Salad from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Seafood Stew from Healthy. Delicious.
- Spice-Crusted Fish Tacos with Confetti Salsa from The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Roasted Squash and Wild Rice Bake from Curious Cuisiniere
- Spicy Shrimp Tempura Rolls from kimchi MOM
- Spinach Proscuitto Macaroni and Cheese with Walnut Topping from Noshing with the Nolands
- Tuscan Chicken Spinach Soup with Roasted Red Pepper from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Azuki Red Bean Ice Cream from The Ninja Baker
- Banana Pudding Parfaits from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Birthday Cake Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Caramel Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars from Pies and Pots
- Chocolate Mousse Torte from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Sugar Churros and Chocolate Sauce from Neighborfood
- Crumb Cake Brownies from Table for Seven
- Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Pops from Ruffles & Truffles
- Gluten-Free Epiphany Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Gluten-Free Vegan Coconut Cookies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Happy Birthday Cake Batter Truffles from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Kahlua Toffee Ice Cream Cake from Webicurean
- Mini Chocolate Bundt Cake with Raspberry Sauce from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pineapple Coconut Cupcakes from Basic N Delicious
- S’mores Snack Cake from Alida’s Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.