I got a new waffle iron for Christmas this past year. I became obsessed. I experimented with all sorts of breakfast waffles for the kids, they dipped away with their syrup. Then I wanted to try a savory recipe. Of course I tried to make these Cheesy Bacon Waffles a little on the healthy side so instead of using leftover mashed potatoes I tried using leftover mashed cauliflower. Epic fail. The waffles wouldn’t form. So I decided this was going to have to be one recipe that wasn’t healthified on my end! So these Cheesy Bacon Waffles were born, because well everything is better with bacon right?
It’s been a few weeks since I’ve been able to gather around the table and break bread with my Sunday Supper family because life has been a bit crazy with the Summer being in full swing. Today we are gathering to break waffles. YES I said waffles. Did you know that July 29th is National Waffle Iron Day? Who knew! This event is being hosted by Sue Lau from A Palatable Pastime so a special Thank you to Sue.
The common question most often asked while being pregnant is “are you having any cravings?” Well yes I did. I ate bacon. I ate a lot of bacon. My daughter hates bacon but yes I continue to still add it to everything. I usually buy center cut because it’s lower in sodium and fat, hey whatever I have to do to feel less guilty when I add bacon to my dishes.
These Cheesy Bacon Waffles are great for a snack or even a main dish. The spicy ketchup is optional of course but if you want to feel like your eating loaded french fries don’t skip it!
- 2 Cups of left over mashed potato
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese
- 6 pieces of cooked bacon, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp. of milk
- ¼ cup of ketchup
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2-4 tbsp of hot sauce
- In a large bowl mix the left over mashed potatoes, cheddar cheese and bacon together. Add milk and stir again.
- When the waffle iron is at it's desired temp to start. Scoop the potato mixture and place it in the middle using a wooden spoon. Flatten the potatoes out until it reaches the edge of the iron. Close and cook for 5 min. Flip and cook for another 5 min. If your waffle iron doesn't flip just keep checking the waffle. When it is crisp and can be easily removed from the iron it's ready.
- In s separate dipping dish mix together the ketchup, pinch of red pepper and hot sauce until it reaches the degree you prefer.
- Dip and enjoy!
Don’t forget to see what other waffle dishes have been created this week! Break out that waffle iron and get creative with us!
Sweet and Sinful:
- Banana Split Waffle Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles by Alida’s Kitchen
- Boston Cream Pie Waffles by Crazed Mom
- Chocolate Cherry Beet Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Pizelles – The Italian Waffle by GirlAbroad
- Churro Waffles by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Waffles by Omnivore’s Cookbook
- Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup by The Chef Next Door
- Easy Peasy Blueberry Sauce for Waffles by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Fluffernutter Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Irish Cream Waffles with Whiskey Strawberries by Tramplingrose
- Japanese Green Tea Matcha Cream Topped Vegan Waffles by NinjaBaker
- Maple Bacon Waffle Ice Cream Cake by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Waffles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Red, White and Blueberry Sourdough Waffles by Cooking With Carlee
- S’Mores Waffles by The Freshman Cook
- Spiced Banana Nut Waffles by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Waffle Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Waffle Kebobs with Maple Yogurt Dipping Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Yeasted Waffles with Peach Syrup by Pies and Plots
Savory Brinner Winners:
- Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Cheeseburger Waffles (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Bacon Waffles by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Biscuit Waffle Breakfast Stacks by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bleu Pig Potato Waffles by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Breakfast Poutine Waffles by She Loves Biscotti
- Cheesy Bacon Waffles with Spicy Ketchup by Momma’s Meals
- Cheesy Polenta Waffles by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Cheesy Spinach Waffles with Ham by Wholistic Woman
- Chicken & Waffles by Family Around the Table
- Corn Waffles Nachos-Style by Caroline’s Cooking
- Croque Monsieur Waffles by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Eggs Benedict Cauliflower Waffles by Life Tastes Good
- Korean Fried Chicken and Ramen Waffles by kimchi MOM
- Loaded Gluten Free Cornbread Waffles by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Luau Egg Benedict Waffle by Brunch-n-Bites
- Mexican Cornbread Waffles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Pulled Pork Waffle Tacos by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pumpkin Cornbread Waffles with BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Scallion Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet and Spicy Pecan Shredded Beef Waffles by Family Foodie
- Waffled Falafel Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement