Soooooo Meatless Meals, I’m going to admit that I love meat, most of it, I’ve often thought about going the vegetarian route just to see if I could do it, my best friend actually did it for 3 weeks after the New Year and she said it wasn’t as hard as she thought it would be, I cook a lot of chicken, I try to only have beef one night a week so that leaves 1-2 nights a week of meatless dishes. I could literally live on pasta but seeing as it’s not the healthiest option in the world I continue to cook meat! I’m sure excited to see these dishes because since I’m hosting this event I’ve been looking at the titles and drooling over them all week!
A lot of people I know are Vegetarians or Vegans, it’s why I have a section on my blog for those recipes. When we invite friends over for a get together or a party I always make sure there is something on the menu for everyone. I respect everyone and anyone for there food choices and I’ll always make sure I have recipes here for everyone. Since having my second baby last summer and realizing my husband and I aren’t getting any younger (can you believe it) I’ve been trying to get my family even healthier than I thought we were. I don’t believe in never having chocolate again, or pizza even, I think I’d go through withdrawals if I had to give up pizza! However cutting out all processed foods and adding more fresh fruits and veggies to our diets is what I’m shooting for this Summer. Whether you choose meat or not there are always ways to stay fit and healthy! So let’s enjoy these Meatless this week!
Now let me share what I decided to bring to the table for this weeks #SundaySupper. I’m pretty addicted to making my own rice pilafs, cream of anythings soups, and sauces made of veggies these days so here is one “rice pilaf” I experimented with that was fabulous! I’m keeping it on the healthy side so feel free to go outside the box if you want!
Broccoli, Mushroom & Rice Casserole
8 large broccoli florets (minus stalks)
8 mushrooms (any kind I used Crimini)
3 tbsp of fresh basil, minced (or 1 tbsp of dried)
2 cups of cooked brown rice (or white)
2 tbsp of olive oil
1/4 cup of fat free milk
1/2 cup of reduced fat Parmesan cheese
2 egg whites
Salt and Pepper
What to do:
I prepared this casserole in no time because I always chop my veggies once or twice a week and store them in the fridge for go to recipes like this. Chop broccoli, onions and mushrooms into small pieces. Sautee onion in olive oil for 5 minutes, add mushrooms and broccoli and sautee for another 5 minutes. Meanwhile cook the rice (2 cups of prepared brown rice actually equals one bag of cooked brown rice). Preheat oven to 350.
In a casserole dish mix together the cooked rice, sauteed veggies and minced basil.
In a separate bowl whisk together the milk, egg whites, salt and pepper to your liking and stir in Parmesan cheese. Pour mixture into the casserole and mix to combine.
Cook casserole uncovered for 20 minutes. Cover with tinfoil and cook for another 10 minutes. If it hasn’t browned feel free to cook totally uncovered however mine started to brown so I covered it to finish.
Nutritional Value: Please note this is an approximation.
Calories: 165 – Total Fat: 4 gm – Sodium: 135 mg – Carbohydrates: 26 gm – Dietary fiber: 3 gm – Sugars: 2 gm – Protein: 9 gm
Now……onto what everyone else brought to the dinner table this week!
Salads, Soups, Stews and Starters
- Spicy Vegan Potato Salad by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Veggie Salad Trio with Zucchini Noodles and Pesto by Hip Foodie Mom
- Olive Tapenade by MealDiva
- Chickpea Chile Soup with Greens and Grains by Shockingly Delicious
- Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Potato Chickpea Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- “Beef” Stew with Potato Cake Tops by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Teriyaki Quinoa “Meatballs” by The Foodie Patootie
- Black Bean “Meatballs” with Marinara by Foxes Love Lemons
- Spicy Vegetarian Meatballs by Mess Makes Food
Pastas, Pizzas and Casseroles
- Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet Lasagna by Curious Cuisiniere
- Four Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Shells by Melanie Makes
- Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cheesy Tomato Casserole by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Deconstructed Vegan “Lasagna” by What Smells So Good?
- Ramen Stir Fry by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Broccolini Macaroni and Cheese by Family Foodie
- Sundried Tomato and Zucchini Pizza with Goat Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Leek Pasta by Neighborfood
- Roasted Veggie Manicotti by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pasta Patate by Webicurean
- Spaghetti and Chickpeas and Roasted Tomato Sauce by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Radicchio and Gorgonzola Tortelloni with Butter and Walnuts by Manu’s Menu
- Broccoli, Mushroom & Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Quinoa Black Bean Burger with Ginger Cilantro & Turmeric by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garbanzo and Brown Rice Burgers by girlichef
- Tofu Burgers by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Tacos & Everything Wrapped
- Blackened Tofu Tacos with Asian Slaw by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mushroom & Poblano Tacos by La Cocina de Leslie
- Green Chile Enchiladas by Cookin’ Mimi
- Beet and Goat Cheese Tacos with Avocado Cream by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Black Bean and Avocado Flautas by Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Spinach Quinoa Burritos by Alida’s Kitchen
Other Main and Side Dishes
- Vegan, Gluten Free Breakfast Bars by Pies and Plots
- Mushroom and Lentil Cottage Pie by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mediterranean Tomato Tart by Magnolia Days
- Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fontina Polenta with Sauteed Porcini Mushrooms by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Leek and Zucchini Tarte Tatin by Food Lust People Love
- Tofu and Peas Curry (Tofu Matar) by Soni’s Food
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.