I couldn’t wait to take part in this weeks #SundaySupper theme. I have to admit, the older I’m getting the more I think about my health. My husband has been working so hard on getting his blood pressure down naturally so he doesn’t have to take medication. We are now on the higher end of thirty and we don’t want to be on meds for the rest of our lives. I’m so proud of him, he gave up beer completely, he is staying active and he eats whatever I make him whether he likes it or not. He will try anything I make him and that means I am a happy Momma and wife!
I try and set aside 30 minutes a day 3-5 days a week to workout, I make homemade sauces with veggies in them, homemade dressings for our salads and I have so many other things to try to get my family healthier! So since we are talking about Heart Healthy meals this week around the family #SundaySupper table what are some of your favorite dishes that you make?
I can’t wait to see the recipes this week as I am trying desperately to get my children off of processed foods and onto more healthy meals. This event is being hosted by Ethel of eating in instead and Lori of Foxes Love Lemons, thank you ladies for all of your hard work for this fabulous spread.
I love making chicken different. I love coating them in flavors or different textures. Like Nuts, the contain unsaturated fatty acids and other nutrients. Did you know that the type of nut you eat isn’t that important, although some nuts have more heart-healthy nutrients and fats than others. Walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts — you name it — almost every type of nut has a lot of nutrition packed into a tiny package. If you have heart disease I suggest eating nuts instead of a less healthy snack! I wanted to make this for my kids and I’m happy to say my picky daughter ate at least one, that’s a win win in my book!
- 1 pd of Chicken, cut up into chunks
- 8 oz of raw almonds
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of italian seasoning
- Olive Oil Spray
- Spicy Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce:
- Mix regular mustard with horseradish sauce to your liking
- In a food processor add the almonds, salt and italian seasoning and process for 2-5 minutes, it took longer than I thought.
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with tinfoil. Spray with olive oil.
- Transfer to a flat plate and beat the egg whites. Dip the chicken into the egg white and coat with the almond mixture. Press firmly.
The dipping sauce I always like to make for chicken has two simple ingredients, mustard and horseradish sauce. It gives it just the right amount of kick! This particular evening I made a baked potato and roasted broccoli because I am missing summer these days and baked potatoes bring me back to the sunshine months and fresh produce! Try it with my Parmesan & Basil Orzo or Garlic Broccoli & Almonds! Now onto some other great Heart Healthy Dishes!!
Better for you breakfasts:
- Apple Pie Oatmeal by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scones by Brunch with Joy
- Create-Your-Own Overnight Oatmeal by Rhubarb and Honey
- Orange, Mango, Lime & Ginger Smoothie by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Pear Bran Muffins by Magnolia Days
- Stovetop Fruit & Honey Granola by What Smells So Good?
Jump start your health with these appetizers and snacks:
- Almond Crusted Chicken Nuggets by Momma’s Meals
- Chipotle Black Bean Dip by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Lemon Aioli with Spring Vegetables by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mala Baked Tofu Bites by Palatable Pastime
- Parmesan Pistachio Kale Chips by The Texan New Yorker
Soups that’ll win your heart:
- Asian Soba Noodle Broth Bowl by Hip Foodie Mom
- Kale, Spinach, and Bean Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Mushroom Quinoa Soup by Pies and Plots
- Quinoa Chickpea Soup with Roasted Garlic & Veggies by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Turkey and Black-Eyed Peas Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Veggies, Sides, & Salads your heart will thank you for:
- Collard Greens with Cumin and Paprika by Nik Snacks
- Salmon Caesar Salad by Casa de Crews
- Kale Roasted Beet Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Noshing with the Nolands
- Lightened-Up Creamed Spinach au Gratin by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Teriyaki Green Beans and Mushrooms by NeighborFood
- Salmon Salad Niçoise by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Seasoned Spinach & Bok Choy by Nosh My Way
- Spinach Berry Salad by Country Girl in the Village
- Sweet & Smokey Cauliflower Salad by Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Winter Citrus Salad with Avocado-Basil Dressing by Foxes Love Lemons
Healthy is the center of attention in these main courses:
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Celeriac Noodles with Mushroom Ragu by The Joyful Foodie
- Gluten Free Roasted Chicken and Kale by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Heart Healthy Salmon Bento by The Ninja Baker
- Lemony Grilled Chicken by Peaceful Cooking
- Moroccan Salmon Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Olive Oil-Poached Salmon with Pickled Cherry Salsa by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- One Pot Mexican Quinoa by Have Fun Saving
- Oven Baked Tilapia Tacos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Piperies Yemistes me Pligouri – Bulgur Stuffed Peppers by Food Lust People Love
- Salmon with Mango Salsa by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake by Food Done Light
- Vegetable and Ginger Congee by eating in instead
- Vegetarian Cuban-Style Black Beans & Rice by MealDiva
- White Bean, Corn, Tomato and Rice Skillet by Family Foodie
Staying healthy doesn’t mean giving up desserts!
- Baked Figs with Vanilla and Honey by Happy Baking Days
- Caramelized Pear Tart by PancakeWarriors
- Cherry-Blueberry Trifles by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
We heart wine.
- Wine Pairing Recommendations for Heart Healthy #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.