These Sweet and Sour Chicken Rice Bowls were invented from an old recipe of mine from about three years ago. I craved that Chinese take-out one night but wanted it to be healthy so I went back to that old recipe of Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken to use the same flavors but to make it into Rice Bowls. Anything on top of rice makes me a happy Momma. I may have duplicated the flavors in this dish from a oven baked recipe but I made this one in a skillet. Yes I’m still obsessed with skillet dishes and probably always will be.
I made this for a date night but next time I make it I’ll be making the kids try it because I have yet to find a chicken dish that they will eat. I’m a Momma on a mission and I will get my kids to like chicken at some point since I love it. If your looking to make some more healthier Chinese dishes at home you have to try my Easy Chow Mein, Spicy Thai Noodles, General Tso’s Chicken or another rice bowl, Baked Sesame Chicken.
- 3 tbsp of Apricot reserves
- 2 tbsp of ketchup
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of rice vinegar
- ½ tsp of ground ginger
- 1 lb. of Chicken breast, cut into large chunks
- 1 green pepper, cut into large pieces
- 1 red pepper, cut into large pieces
- 3 large carrots, cut into small coins
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- ½ cup of water, divided
- 3 large scallions, diced
- One bag of success brown rice
- Whisk together the apricot reserves, ketchup, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger and one tbsp of water together in a small bowl.
- Drizzle the olive oil in a medium sized skillet set on medium-high heat, add the carrots and peppers, toss to coat, add the remaining water and cover. Continue to stir and move the vegetables around for 15 min. Add more water if needed.
- Add the chicken and sauce. Stir to coat and cook for 12-15 min or until chicken is cooked through. Meanwhile cook the rice according to package directions.
- Separate the rice into four bowls, top with chicken and veggies. Sprinkle with green onion and enjoy!