I remember coming across a Lasagna soup last year and said I’ve got to try that! However Spring eventually came and I don’t make many soups during the warmer weather. So I went on a search and tried making it as healthy as I could. I nailed it. This lighted up lasagna soup is perfect for this time of year. You can make it even healthier by actually omitting the noodles because the flavor is quite amazing. I can also see this dish as #21DayFix approved because it can easily be measured out. I made the soup in steps. I made the soup first on the stove top on a night that my husband and I were eating alone after the kids went to bed. While that was cooking I made the noodles, let them dry, cut them up and put them in a separate container. I then mixed the cheese and placed that in a separate bowl. I left the noodles out on the counter with a little olive oil (to prevent them from sticking), stored the cheese mixture in the fridge. After the kids went to bed I reheated the soup, added the noodles to two bowls (this is where you can measure if your on the 21 Day Fix diet) I ladled the soup into the bowl (I’d say it’s one green and one to one and a half red) then topped it with a blob of cheese (one blue container) The cheese melts nicely into the soup and you seriously feel like your eating a piece of lasagna. If you think a piece of lasagna couldn’t be any more comforting than you must try this soup because it’s even more comforting than just a piece of lasagna!
For more great Date Night Recipes you can enjoy with your other half hop on over to my Date Night section, yes they are most likely recipes kiddo’s won’t eat so enjoy!
- 4 cups of Vegetable Stock
- 28 oz of organic roasted crushed tomatoes
- 8 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 pd of 93% lean (or higher) ground pork (ground turkey and lean ground beef would be good too)
- 6 oz. of part skim ricotta cheese
- ⅔ cup of grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup of part skim grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of italian seasoning
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions, drain and lay on a flat service to cool.
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot on medium heat and add onions. Saute for a few minutes mixing them around. Add garlic and saute for one more minute. Add ground meat breaking it up and moving it around until it's browned through.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, broth, sugar and italian seasoning to the pot. Mix to combine, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a bowl combine the ricotta, parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Stir in basil and set aside. Cut up the cooled lasagna noodles into bite sized pieces and divide evenly to 5-6 serving bowls. Pour 1 cup to 1 cup and a half to each bowl. Top with a heaping spoonful of cheese and enjoy!