I haven’t eaten a donut in probably twenty years. My father would take me Dunkin Donuts almost every weekend growing up and our order was always the same. Two lemon filled donuts. Of course until I became a young woman and realized that I mine as well just take that delicious lemon filled donut and glue it to my thigh. I’m sorry that I cut those weekends short with my Dad, I’d give anything to have them back now no matter how many calories are being consumed. I can however pass on my love for donuts to my children. Can you believe I have never made a donut before! They are so much better than any store bought donut I’ve eaten. Fast forward those twenty years, receive a new donut pan for Christmas and enter one very interested little four year old and we have these Cinnamon Sugar Donuts. My buddy loves being in the kitchen with me. So much so, that we’ve just designated two afternoons a week for baking or cooking a new dish together. We made a deal, I love being in the kitchen, he loves being in the kitchen, but I actually have to get dinner on the table so two afternoons a week are now designated for my little buddy.
I can’t take credit for these donuts. I found them on The Weary Chef. However, I will take credit for the topping on this donut. I wanted something simple for my little man, unfortunately he lost interest after the first batch was made and I ended up doing the rest. That is why I ate two people. Yes two donuts back to back! I figured my diet wasn’t starting until Monday so go big or go home right? That’s how good these Cinnamon Sugar Donuts are people. Did I say how easy it is too? Eat them warm! Buy yourself a donut pan. Trust me. Your welcome.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Cinnamon sugar (I found a shaker that has cinnamon sugar combined)
- ½ cup of confectioners sugar
- 3 tbsp. butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a donut pan with spray butter. If you only have one pan you'll have to batches, 12 donuts total
- Mix the egg, applesauce, sugar, vanilla extract in a medium sized bowl. Add the flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon and salt and mix until combined.
- Gently pour into each donut mold, it should come to the top of the mold, don't over fill.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in microwave at 30 second intervals until it has completely melted. Mix the cinnamon sugar and confectioners sugar together and place on a plate.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Allow the donuts to cool for a few minutes before removing them. Place them on parchment paper. Dip the top of the donut in melted butter and dip it into the cinnamon sugar combination until the top is covered.
- Enjoy! Or package in a ziplock bag for a week.