I have a new show I love to watch on the Food Network Channel. It’s called The Kitchen. That’s where I got the idea of this French Toast in a Mug. I thought it would be a fun thing to try with the kids since we got Teen Age Mutant Ninja Turtle mugs as a gift. So this show The Kitchen, it shares great recipes but the hosts and hostesses also share a lot of fun kitchen tips and at the end of the show they close it out with “It’s 5 O’Clock Somewhere!” of course that is my style, end your evening with a nice cocktail.
So who would have thought French Toast in a Mug? Not me. I’m not going to lie, it’s messy. It also doesn’t photograph well either so pardon the doesn’t look so good mug full of deliciousness. This is a perfect thing to try on a busy day when maybe your running out the door and need breakfast on the go! My kids and I had fun making them and of course I chose my daughters favorite new mugs!
- ¼ up of milk
- 1½ tbsp of maple syrup
- 1 slice of thick white bread
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- ½ tbsp of unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1 tbsp of chocolate chips
- Whisk together the milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, egg and a pinch of salt in a large mug until combined.
- Evenly spread the butter on one side of the bread. Cut the bread into bite-size pieces and add them to the mug, pressing down lightly so all the bread pieces are submerged. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips, nestling them between the bread pieces.
- Microwave the bread mixture for 2 minutes, pausing every 30 seconds. If it starts to come up over the edge of the cup stop the heating and let it go down before finishing. I had to do this a few times. Let the French toast cool in the mug about 1 minute before serving.