Have you been apple picking yet this year? Well of course we have. We went on one of the first days we possibly could here in New England, it was 90 degrees out. I’m not sure what we were thinking. The tractor rides weren’t up and operating yet, and the kids sat on the ground munching on numerous apples while my husband and I filled up our bag! Once we got home my mind was reeling. I wanted to make something easy but healthy and light for the kids. That’s how this Easy Apple & Yogurt Parfaits came about.
What are some of your favorite recipes that have apples in it? Do you even enjoy cooking with apples. I do! I love the season and though I’m not much of a “baker” I still enjoy it. I have yet to make apple butter. I have to get on that. Ohhhh how about apple chips I’d love to try that. I loved these Apple Topped Sweet Potatoes I made for my daughter once. Or of course a great dessert to bring to a holiday party are these Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars.
- 4 Cups of non-fat vanilla greek yogurt
- 4 macintosh apples, chopped into small pieces
- brown sugar
- ⅔ cup of organic no sugar added applesauce
- ¾ cup of high protein granola
- In a medium sauce pan on low-medium heat add chopped apples and applesauce and mix to combine. Cook the apples for 5 minutes until they start to soften. Set aside and allow it to cool.
- While the apples are cooling, spoon ½ cup of yogurt into 4 mason jars (mine were 6 oz).
- Add a few tablespoons of the cooked apples on top of the yogurt. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar (no set amount!)
- Add another ½ cup of yogurt on top of the apples.
- Add a few tablespoons of granola on top of the yogurt and sprinkle more cinnamon and sugar.
- Close and refrigerate until it's snack time!