Can you believe that I never even made my own tomato soup until last year?!! I know craziness. It’s one of the easiest soups to make. I love tomato soup but I’m a dipper. It’s hard for me to eat a soup that has no chunks, veggies, starch or meat. If there is no starch there better be a meat and if there is no meat there better be a starch. So even though I love a good tomato soup it’s hard for me to choose it over other soups. Until this Creamy Tomato Soup came to me. It’s from the Fixate cookbook from the 21 Day Fix program. It’s an amazing program that has forever changed my life. I love knowing that I’m putting the right portions of food into my body and the recipes are truly delicious. I even got over my “need chunks” by adding crackers or I bake up a pie crust cut into pieces and throw a few of those in there. I do have to count it as a yellow container but sometimes it does the trick. You can also measure out a yellow container with brown rice and have it be Creamy Tomato Soup with Rice. I sometimes even double up and count it as two greens and have two cups!
- 4 tsp of olive oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- ½ cup of onions, chopped
- 2 tsp of dried basil
- 28 oz of whole tomatoes, low sodium
- 3 cups of vegetable broth, low sodium
- salt & pepper to season
- 1½ cups of unsweetened almond milk
- 8 tsp. shredded parmesan cheese
- in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat saute the carrots, onions and dried basil with the olive oil. Cook stirring frequently, 4-5 min or until onions are translucent.
- Add tomatoes, broth and season with salt and pepper; cook stirring frequently, until it reaches a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low. Allow to gently boil for 15 min.
- Gently blend using an immerse blender until the soup is smooth. You can also use a blender and work in batches.
- Add almond milk; cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until heated through, 1-2 min. Do not let soup come to a boil again.
- Evenly divide the soup into eight serving bowls. Top each bowl with 1 tsp of cheese.
What is your favorite soup to make? Another one of my favorites I made this year is my Seasonal Butternut Squash Soup.