I am yet again experimenting with chicken because of my two children who refuse to eat it whichever way I prepare it. Unless it comes from the fast food place down the street that I made the mistake of allowing into our lives early on. Hey I’m human and we all need fast food every now and again. I have gone out of my way trying to duplicate the chicken nuggets from this said fast food place. Fail, fail fail. So then I thought of how I could make this into a 21 Day Fix Baked Sesame Chicken Bowls and maybe I could try yet another nugget of some kind. I also wanted to show just how easy it is to make just about any recipe work in the 21 Day Fix program. I did a little research and realized that I could still “fry” the chicken to seal in that “fried” feeling but then baked it in the sauce to really bring the sweet and sour flavors together. I decided on sweet and sour because my daughter loves the sweet and sour dipping sauce from the fast food joint.
I’m happy to report I got a few bites out of her. I was happy with that! My son did not touch it of course but my Mom and I enjoyed it very much and felt like a little bit of Chinese food straight from my own kitchen.
Recipe Adapted from: Creme da la Crumb
- 3 chicken breasts, chopped into bite size peices
- 1 small head of broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups of brown rice
- ¼ cup of whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp of whole wheat flour + 4 tbsp of water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- green onion, for topping
- sesame seeds, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Add the chicken to a ziplock bag, pour ¼ cup of whole wheat flour into the bag and toss to coat. Make sure all of the pieces get coated.
- Grease a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, brown sugar, honey, ketchup, white wine vinegar, soy sauce, salt and garlic powder, set aside.
- Place the chicken to a large skillet and drizzled with oil. Saute chicken over medium high heat until browned. 4 minutes.
- Transfer to baking dish. Add the sauce and stir to coat all of the chicken.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Serve on top of brown rice and steamed broccoli. Garnish with green onions if desired!